The Young Vic Theatre has been one of London’s leading theatres for more than fifty years. It was founded in 1970 as a space for world-premiere productions as well as unexpected takes on classic plays that speak to our present.
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Kwame Kwei-Armah and Executive Director Lucy Davies, the Young Vic stands out in the city's cultural landscape for balancing daring commercial drive, artistic flair and success with genuine grassroots social impact.
For 25 years, we’ve put our local communities in Lambeth and Southwark at the heart of our theatre through our creative engagement program, Taking Part. Taking Part is the embodiment of the Young Vic spirit: that the arts are indispensable to a full life and that everyone should have the opportunity to participate. We work with young people, adults and schools, and engage with over 15,000 people a year, providing free tickets to all our shows and free creative and artistic opportunities to our participants.
The Young Vic Creators Program is the only scheme of its kind for multi- and anti-disciplinary artists. We offer artists and producers unique pathways to develop their craft through opportunities that range from skills-based workshops to trainee and assistant director roles and a two-year residency through the Genesis Fellow/Associate Director position. The Genesis Network provides an online community to over 2,000 artists and producers.
Our Values at the Young Vic
The Young Vic is driven by seven core values which underpin all that we do, both on stage and off, to make the Young Vic what it is today - bringing together artists, communities and audiences on a global scale and using the power of stories to change our world.
- We believe theatre is at its best when everyone participates.
- We are driven by relentless curiosity and debate.
- We believe in pioneering and in leading into the unknown.
- We are led by the creativity of our people and the limitless possibility of imagination.
- We collaborate: working together to achieve shared goals.
- We lead with kindness - with heart, with care, and with the wellbeing of our people.
- We are committed to openness rooted in trust.